Pedaling west 2007

Pedaling west 2007

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Down from the Mountain

Since my first posting on April 4, I have driven three days from California to Arkansas and hiked four days.  Resting now at a motel in Clarksville, any motel is luxury. 






Having set camp beside a creek, I wait for the sun to set on the babble and the birdsong.













The sun has set.  I slide back to camp through the gradual dusk.  Inside my tent, I’m like a pupa in cocoon, trapped in a straitjacket sleeping bag.  They call these lightweight accommodations mummy bags for their tight fit, like an Egyptian princess in strapped passage to the afterworld.












The view from this high camp stretches across rows of mountains, each paler than the last until the final ranks become indistinguishable from sky.










Here is where the trail map says to cross Frog Bayou—waist deep, fast-moving, slippery rocks, but at least the water wasn’t cold.  It’s not the best of trails for ease of walking, but at least I didn’t get lost.











Plenty of flowers turned out for my coming, this early spring.  Trees are leafing out in the lowlands, but on the ridges, stems are mostly bare.  









I will come back to thinking about these rocks, part from book learning and part from feeling their solid history, as the lichens that cling to them.  It will take a few more days to get to know them. 














Morning is the best time for anyone wanting to feel the day before it is fully prepared—birds , bears, squirrels, .  







I will stay here in Clarksville, Arkansas, several nights, day-hiking sections of the trail.  I hope to send a posting each evening.  Please tell me if anything seems worth reading or if any questions come to mind.  Comment here on the blog or answer the email that led you here.


19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Really, Dalton?
      Mostly I agree, but is poison ivy fine? What about nettles and thistles? And what about women and dogs, and bosses, and Trump?

      Delete
  2. So glad to "have you back". My favorites of the photos "The sun has set"

    pupa
    in a blue cocoon
    she sleeps
    the forest of her mind
    like the bears birds and squirrels

    and "The view from this high camp"

    like sunset
    two trees posing
    before nightfall
    sunset's glow of pink and gold
    already in their arms

    oh yes well "Morning is the best time" is stunning too

    as if one bare branch
    could point to the cause of morning
    this light
    will set me straight on the path
    to somewhere

    (This is the first time I have enlarged all the images on your blog as I read it. It is really worthwhile! The beautiful changes of color in the trees in "The view..." were not visible until I did.

    Good rest and good walks in the days to come!

    love from Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful poems, Kath. I especially like the one bare branch pointing to the cause of this morning light.

      Delete
  3. So many wonderful photos. My favorites are your bedecked bicycle leaning on the tree and getting ready for the morning with the bees and bears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture is from 2007 when I rode across America. This time, it's a hike in the Ozarks.

      Delete
  4. Such a blessing to enjoy the wonderful creations.
    Thank you for taking me along.
    How exactly did you cross the water?

    Muhsin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crossed the water by wading up to my waist. Both the near water that you see in the foreground, and also the far and wider water had to crossed. Nice to have you wading with me Muhsin.

      Delete
  5. The purple flowers are so cute and picture perfect. I love all the photos and especially the last gorgeous sunset.
    Just thinking of how your walk is through wilderness relaxes me. Keiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It relaxes me too, Keiko. So quiet and primeval, with its dangers of course, but such an escape from what we have done to it.

      Delete
  6. Silly Starshine likes to play with words
    And, what better words to play with than 'yours'

    "The Babble and the Birdsong"

    crossed the water by wading up to my waist
    deep, fast-moving, slippery rocks
    at least the water wasn’t cold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Play with my words all you wish, Junnie. Now I'll play with yours:

      I go back to the beginning of Sharon
      to an everlasting moment
      in an ordinary wilderness
      a hilltop farm
      inside a stacked rock wall


      Delete
    2. Playful words tossed back and forth
      childhood's gleeful game of pitch and toss
      strategic landing of a hopscotch rock
      skipping, jumping, roller skating
      swinging with our words in tree tops
      climbing with our words to monkey bar heights
      balancing our words on bicycle handlebars
      Ah, to be ten again ~ but then we 'are'

      Delete
    3. Playing with you and Erika, whose comment is just below here
      And jjmorri, whom I don’t even know
      And Kathabela above, with prolific renderings of photos
      Keiko Amano, her vivid perception
      Dalton, short terse, but with cool underpinnings
      Yes, we children climb to monkey bar heights,
      Balance words on our bicycle handlebars
      And kick them like rocks on our hopscotch court
      Drawn with careful chalk in the pedestrian sidewalk
      We are ten, we write, we live

      Delete
  7. small flower
    growing low in the woods
    periwinkle blue
    like the silk dress
    I once favored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, Erika. May I use it in a program on return?

      Delete
    2. yes of course, if it fits with your presentation. I'll be flattered.

      Delete
  8. I am really enjoying your photos and descriptions of the trail. I grew up in the Oklahoma Ozarks and have since moved across the country eventually ending up in Arizona. I hope that you don't mind that I saved several of your pictures because they remind me so much of what I still consider my native home at a deep level. I have never walked the Ozark trail but I spent countless barefoot hours exploring the smokey valleys and misty mountain mornings that you describe. I used to spent a lot of time examining the rocks you mention and trying to fathom how all of the oceanic fossils ended up sitting next to me on the top of the hill, waiting to be noticed for unknown millenia. I remember my father and grandfather walking with me pointing out plants and animals and sharing country wisdom that you might not otherwise hear in your lifetime. During your walks did you notice that moss only grows on the north side of the trees? It can be a poor man's compass when you are otherwise lost. Thank you again for taking the time to post. Because of it you may find new people walking the Ozark trail in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know you, jjmorri2, but I welcome your comments here. You have a poetic way of writing, as do many of my friends. Please continue to comment and provide your email address if you don't mind, so I can add you to my list of recipients.

      Delete